Ancestral stories and creativity


I've just started reading a book called "Steal Like an Artist, 10 things nobody told you about being creative" 
by Austin Kleon

The book is not about stealing other's work and naming it as your own by the way!

He talks about 'climbing your family tree', and    
 'seeing yourself as part of a creative lineage will help you feel less alone as you start making your own stuff.'


I spent a few hours yesterday admiring my family's inherited collection of blacksmith tools.
Wondering what this or that could have been used for.   Thinking about how life was lived years ago.  How physically demanding work it must have been to be the only blacksmith in town.




Knowing my ancestors' stories, talents and interests, connects me with them.
Helps form my identity.


I wrote a previous blog post about finding strength in family.  You can check it out here.

Do you have a connection to your ancestors through a hobby, interest or career choice?




   




Comments