A letter to moms on Mother's Day

Women carry the scars of motherhood -  good and bad,  physical and emotional.  Physically, as time passes our bodies start to break down, sometimes as a direct result of childbirth itself.   We need some repairs and reassembling and that's ok.

Our emotional selves,  the deepest part of our hearts is where we stuff our hardships and personal aches in order to raise our families.

Our hearts become that cluttered cupboard that is stuffed with unrelated bits of everything.  You keep walking past, keep shoving more things into this space.  It quietly bothers you.  "Another day.  I'll get to it another day." you tell yourself.

We focus on our physical house but we neglect our inner, personal cupboards - our hearts.  The emotional engine that drives us around our lives.  The best part of ourselves.

My wish is for all moms to reach inside themselves and pull out the junk your heart doesn't need.  Clean out your cupboards and make space for your kids' laughter and conversations.

Really,  give it a good try this Mother's Day and then try it every day after that.  Empty your cupboard to make space for the stuff that matters.


____________________________________________

Since my separation almost two years ago,  I have been doing lots of internal work.  Finding myself again has made me a better person and therefore a better mom.  I feel closer to my kids now than I ever have.
While I was writing letters to my mom and my sister for Mother's Day,  these thoughts took over and spilled out onto the page.

How could I not share it!

I hope your Mother's Day is steeped in love and quiet moments...if you let it.

Stephanie


Comments