Get me off this emotional roller coaster ride - childhood anxiety

Anxiety can feel like you are holding a broken compass.

I took an emotional roller coaster ride this morning and I'm exhausted.   
A ride that lasted from 7:30 till 10:00 this morning. 

It's Friday, 10:00 am and I just brought Noah to school.  He's been home sick with a cold for the past three days and even thought he is still not feeling 100% ,  he's missed too much school.
I know why he put up such a fight today.  He knows once he's at school,  he can't come home, (even if he is legitimately feeling yucky.)  If Noah is able to call home once,  he will start calling everyday because anxiety makes him feel sick.
This is the conundrum with anxious children.  

Frustration.....
With raw emotions this morning,   I am tired of being questioned and scrutinized for the way I help Noah with his anxiety.  I am feeling squeezed in all directions - family and school, which causes self-doubt -  am I making the best choice at this moment?  

As a parent, I want to do what is best for my child.  
It's so hard to see him suffer,  but there is a fine line a parent must ride;  do I give him a push or do I give him a bit of time to use the tools he's been given by the psychologist, psychotherapist, and counsellors he's spoken to.  
I have to watch for physical clues - body language - and listen to the tone in his voice.
It's a science, it's a tight-rope walk,  and it's done with love.   
Moms really do know their kids best.  

   

And...
I want parents who have children with anxiety to know that it's not your fault and you are doing a good job and please make sure you take care of yourself.

                                                                                                     That's the hardest one of all!

Comments