Rhubarb compote



My grandparents had one very large rhubarb plant in their garden.
  They used to make pies or just cook it on the stove to serve with vanilla ice cream.
I can hear my grandmother asking "How is it?  Is it sweet enough?" and wait for our response.

A truly simple dessert!
(Doesn't everything go with vanilla ice cream?)


I found a recipe for rhubarb compote and thought how nice it would be to treat my taste buds to rhubarb again.


Cut rhubarb into pieces and rinse under water.  Place rhubarb on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with sugar.



Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 to 15 minutes or until rhubarb is soft and starting to fall apart.  Stir once in-between.





I don't know about you,  but for me,  my sense of smell can transport me back in time easier than a photograph.
The smell of this compote brought a tear to my eye...I miss my grandparents terribly.

----------------------------------

I couldn't wait for the ice cream.  I ate it straight out of the jar.













Comments