Quick and easy way to make baby greens last longer


A fresh green salad seems like a perfect addition to any meal during the hot summer months.  When I can't buy fresh local lettuce I opt for a supermarket substitute of baby greens
BUT
by the time I get to the bottom of the container I find leaves like this.


When I was a kid I used to watch my grandmother wrap left over lettuce leaves in a paper towel,   put them in a plastic bag and then in the fridge.

This memory prompted me to find a solution to my rotting lettuce leaves.


Empty the leaves into a bowl and line the bottom of the container with paper towel or napkins




Dump the leaves back into the container,  close the lid and pop it in the fridge.
It only takes two minutes!
I was tired of throwing out half a container of lettuce.  I'm on my second container now and I have to say it really does work.
The paper absorbs the extra moisture that would eventually cause the leaves to rot.

Comments