coffee for one - a photographic study


The weather here in Niagara has been pretty soggy,  pretty dull and pretty damp.
Days like these make me want to hunker down with a good book,  a blanket and a good cup of coffee.
I enjoy the process of making a good cup of java.
That means freshly ground beans.

Please enjoy my photographic study of 'coffee for one' with the set up for the shot.  

f 5.6, 1/60, ISO 500, 50mm
I knew I wanted these photos to be moody and dark.  Kind of fits the mood of the day.
I found a window and a dark background (a baking sheet) to set the stage.




I added coffee grounds to the beans to add more texture to the scene and help tell the story of making coffee with a french press.
I liked the idea of adding a blue cup to the scene to make it moody blue.  (this cup was a gift from my sister and brother-in-law from their trip to Holland)   I changed it because I felt it was too large sitting next to the press.
Focus is on the spout of the press because that is where the coffee will eventually come from.



f 5, 1/60, ISO 640, 46mm
It's finally coffee!  I added a splash of milk to the background because that's what I take.  
The focus is now on the cup but you can see the french press is empty.




Here is my tiny,  spur-of-the-moment set up.  

Dreary, overcast days are good for one thing - photography!
No harsh shadows are created by the bright sunlight.




I hope I have inspired you to go and brew yourself a hot cup of coffee.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!


Comments